Kids at this age are so full of energy that it can be hard to keep up with them! Apps and activities need to be colourful and cater to a short attention span.
iPad & iPhone Apps
- LoopsequeKids: GarageBand for the younger set! Your little one can create their own rhythm by simply pressing buttons into an on/off position.
- Pluto Piano: One of my favourite apps for this age group. Help Pluto avoid the obstacles while learning how notes are placed on the staff! (May be unavailable on Canadian iTunes).
- Music With Grandma: Learn with Grandma as your little one explores different instruments, sorts sounds, and so much more.
- Tune Train: A big hit in the studio for composing songs with no theory knowledge necessary! Kids have fun creating a melody and hearing it in various genres.
- Monkey Drum: Have fun creating a rhythm for the Monkey and his friends to play. The longer and more complex the rhythm, the happier the Monkey. Plus, a banana will fall for food.
- Moozart: This is another fun composing activity that allows children to place icons from Old MacDonald’s farm to add to familiar songs.
- Music for Little Mozarts: My little ones LOVE this app and could spend all lesson practicing up/down, recognizing patterns and a multitude of other concepts.
- Rhythm Party: Guitar Hero for the preschool/kindergarten set, but on piano. All their favourite songs with a fun soundtrack.
- DoReMi 1-2-3: Learn your favourite songs with each song is divided into sections. Add in funny sounds and your little one is sure to be laughing.
- Music4Kids: Make songs, participate in challenges (within the app only), or play your created melodies.
- Puppet WShop: Every time your child completes a practice task they can add to their sock puppet! Better yet, take a picture in-app to share with the teacher next lesson.
- Musical Zoo: Wondering what the notes on the keyboard are? Let the animals show you!
- Susan Paradis’ Finger Numbers: Susan Paradis has a wealth of material for early beginners. Feel free to look at her website for more resources.