Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties Description:
- Level: Late Intermediate
- Pages: 5 pages, 2 pages of music, cover included
- Format: Instant PDF download
- Studio Licence Bonus: Cover art, “make it your own” suggestions for students
- Collections: Pattern Inspired – Intermediate
Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties is a fun, upbeat piano solo. Your late intermediate students will explore doo wop patterns, triplets and parallel 6th intervals. Embrace the 40’s and 50’s in this piano solo!
Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties Level:
“Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties” is a late intermediate piano solo. The left hand explores the octaves both rhythms and some walking bass line common to doo wop music. The upbeat right-hand rhythm uses triplet broken chords and parallel 6th melody lines.
Most concepts are at an intermediate level so your students find it easier to master the doo wop patterns.
- Mode: F Major
- Time Signature: 2/4
- Concepts: triplets (both within melody line and parallel 6th intervals), octaves, some walking bass line (shown as octaves), sixteenth notes, swing eighths, hand over hand, up to 3 ledger lines.
The rhythm is key in this fun, doo wop inspired piano solo! Swinging eighth notes combined with doo woop accompaniment patterns up the fun factor. Students have the option of playing the short sixteenth note sections as written or almost as 32nd notes for a more ornamental sound.
This is a fantastic piece for students just getting introduced to parallel 6th intervals. Often these are repeat notes for the entire measure which allows your students to feel the interval under their hands before moving to the next measure.
Ledger lines are typically connected to either octave sections or other patterns that help students identify the notes much quicker.
Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties Bonus:
All sheet music comes with original cover art. “Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties” comes with “make it your own” suggestions for students to experiment with developing their own voice.
More About the Pattern Inspired – Intermediate Collection:
“Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties” is part of the ‘Pattern Inspired – Intermediate’ collection for intermediate level students that like to explore different styles of music. Each piece focuses on a modern take on an accompaniment pattern for the intermediate level. This collection is fantastic as either a fun look back at concepts or an introduction to new patterns.
- Alberti’s Garden: A sweet, whimsical late intermediate piece that explores modern Alberti bass patterns in G Major.
- Ballerina in the Shadows: A broody swing late intermediate piece that explores stride patterns in E minor and 3/8 time.
- Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties: A fun, upbeat late intermediate that explores doo wop rhythmic and accompaniment patterns in F Major and 2/4 time.
- Waltz of the Lilies: A tranquil, beautiful late intermediate piano solo explores waltz patterns in both B flat Major and G minor.
What Is a Studio Licence?
When you purchase “Poodle Skirts and Thin Ties” you get a studio-licence PDF of the piece. This piece is sent digitally via an email receipt. If you have a multi-teacher studio, please contact Rosemarie directly for additional licences. Thanks!
A studio licence is a great way to stretch your studio repertoire budget. Purchase music once and use it for years (even decades) with students you directly teach! For online teachers, if you share the piece during online lessons, students must print immediately and not retain an electronic copy of the piece.
For more information on your studio licence, check out the Terms and Conditions page.
If you purchase a collection you will need a program to open zip files to access all pieces within the collection.
Should I Print All Pages For Students?
Yes! Each page is designed with students in mind.
- Cover art
- Inspiration for similar music your students may like
Students love a bit of cover art since it can help them get into the mood and story of a piece. I’ve included ways to adapt or play with the music so students become part of the creative process.
Lastly, having other pieces at a similar level can keep students excited about what the next song in their musical journey can be!