Farewell, Old Friend Description:
- Level: Early Intermediate
- Pages: 5 pages, 2 pages of music, cover included
- Format: instant PDF download
- Studio Licence Bonus: cover art, “make it your own” suggestions for students
- Collections: Memories
Students who love the music from “The Lord Of The Rings” will love this early intermediate piece. The sparse chord structure brings out melancholy, bittersweet and wistful emotions in this farewell to an old friend.
NOTE: This piece was originally commissioned by TopMusicCo. All rights were retained by Rosemarie Penner.
Farewell, Old Friend Level:
“Farewell, Old Friend” is an early intermediate piano solo. The chords are intentionally left thinner to create a bittersweet reflection. This creates an opportunity for students to explore how a simple approach can create incredible artistry.
- Mode: Eb Major
- Time Signature: 4/4
- Concepts: 3 ledger lines, parallel 6th intervals, 3-note chords spanning an octave (in one hand)
Farewell, Old Friend Bonus:
All sheet music comes with original cover art. This piece comes with “make it your own” suggestions for students to experiment with developing their own voice.
More About The “Memories” Collection:
“Farewell, Old Friend” is part of the ‘Memories’ collection for intermediate to advanced level students that like a bit of nostalgia. The inspiration for this collection came from memories from my life: piano music I’ve loved, my grandmother’s life, as well as looking back on happy or bittersweet memories. Students can use these pieces as either a fun look back or a way to express artistically some of the emotions they may be experiencing.
Songs found in the “Memories” collection are:
- “A Life Lived”: early advanced/advanced level piece for students that love the piano music from Billy Joel, Paul McCartney and Elton John
- “Farewell, Old Friend”: early intermediate level piece for students that are fans of ‘Lord Of The Rings’ or fantasy music
- “Lena’s Journey”: intermediate/late intermediate level piece for students that would like to explore an Eastern-European style with a hymn-like base.
What is a studio licence?
When you purchase “Farewell, Old Friend” you get a studio-licence PDF of the piece. This piece is sent digitally via an email receipt. If you have a multi-teacher studio, please contact Rosemarie directly for additional licences. Thanks!
A studio licence is a great way to stretch your studio repertoire budget. Purchase music once and use for years (even decades) with students you directly teach! For online teachers, if you share the piece during online lessons, students must print immediately and not retain an electronic copy of the piece.
For more information on your studio licence, check out the Terms and Conditions page.
If you purchase a collection you will need a program to open zip files to access all pieces within the collection.
Should I print all pages for students?
Yes! Each page is designed with students in mind.
- Page 1: Cover art
- Page 3+: Music
- Last page: Other music they may like
Students love a bit of cover art since it can help them get into the mood and story of a piece. I’ve included ways to adapt or play with the music so students become part of the creative process.
Lastly, having other pieces at a similar level can keep students excited about what the next song in their musical journey can be!