Winter’s Thaw Description:
- Level: Early Elementary (rote), Elementary (reading)
- Pages: 6 pages, 3 pages of music, cover included
- Format: Instant PDF download
- Studio Licence Bonus: Cover art, “make it your own” suggestions for students
- Collections: The First Winter – Soundscapes
Students that love analyzing patterns will love this extended beginner piece. “Winter’s Thaw” is an early elementary (rote) to elementary (reading) piece with a tranquil moodscape in 4/4 time that explores both broken and solid chord bridges.
Winter’s Thaw Level:
This is a peaceful early elementary (rote) to elementary (reading) level piano solo. “Winter’s Thaw” begins with broken chord bridges in both hands to help students feel the chords under their hands. Both hands play in the treble clef creating a lighter feel to the piece.
- Mode: G Major (accidentals written in)
- Time Signature: 4/4
- Concepts: both hands in treble clef, 8va (written as text instructions), chord bridges, hand position changes (1 note shift), crescendo, diminuendo, sharp, left-hand crosses over right-hand (last note)
“Winter’s Thaw” includes finger numbers for starting notes + circled finger numbers any time hand position changes.
Accidentals, rather than a key signature are used, in this 4/4 time piece. However, the piece is designed to play F sharp only four times the entire song.
The rhythm includes several eighth notes in the middle part of the piece. Rhythmically students do not play hands together at any point. Holding the pedal the entire song creates a peaceful quality.
Winter’s Thaw Bonus:
All sheet music comes with original cover art. “Winter’s Thaw” comes with “make it your own” suggestions for students to experiment with developing their own voice.
More About “The First Winter – Soundscapes” Collection:
“Winter’s Thaw” is part of the “The First Winter – Soundscapes” collection that gives your teen and adult students music they can be proud to play at your studio’s Winter recital! Harmonies are simplified to create a complex soundscape without the need for more advanced techniques.
“The First Winter – Soundscapes” includes:
- Aurora’s Lullaby: Tranquil lullaby inspired by the Aurora Borealis in 4/4 time with basic harmonies and simple rhythms.
- Darkest Night: Broody moodscape in 3/4 time that explores the three most common rhythms at this level with interesting chords.
- Eerie Wind: Mysterious, eerie moodscape in 3/4 time that explores ebbing and flowing dynamics.
- Winter’s Thaw: Peaceful exploration of chord bridges (broken + solid) in 4/4 time that is perfect for students that love patterns with small changes.
What is a studio licence?
When you purchase “Winter’s Thaw” you get a studio-licence PDF of the piece. This piece is sent digitally via an email receipt. If you have a multi-teacher studio, please contact Rosemarie directly for additional licences. Thanks!
A studio licence is a great way to stretch your studio repertoire budget. Purchase music once and use for years (even decades) with students you directly teach! For online teachers, if you share the piece during online lessons, students must print immediately and not retain an electronic copy of the piece.
For more information on your studio licence, check out the Terms and Conditions page.
If you purchase a collection you will need a program to open zip files to access all pieces within the collection.
Should I print all pages for students?
Yes! Each page is designed with students in mind.
- Page 1: Cover art
- Page 3+: music
- Last page: other music they may like
Students love a bit of cover art since it can help them get into the mood and story of a piece. I’ve included ways to adapt or play with the music so students become part of the creative process.
Lastly, having other pieces at a similar level can keep students excited about what the next song in their musical journey can be!